Posts tagged 1940s
Posts tagged 1940s
John Adams High School, South Bend, Indiana
Submitted by zossimas
After sitting vacant from its completion to the end the polio epidemic of the late 1930s, John Adams High School opened in 1940 and once housed the largest performing arts stage in South Bend.
Report from Hawaii News Now (click link for video) on new exhibit on Art Deco Hawaii.
(Hawaii News Now) - From the 19-20’s to the 19-40’s, art deco flourished in the islands. The Honolulu Museum of Art is hosting the first major museum exhibition focusing on the Hawaiian take on the art deco style.The Honolulu Museum of Art presents Art Deco Hawai‘i, the first major museum exhibition to focus on the seductive Hawaiian take on the international Art Deco style, which flourished in the islands from the 1920s to the 1940s.
Tivoli Theatre, Creston, British Columbia, Canada
Quick Description: If anyone built a theatre in the 1930s or 1940s that wasn’t in the art deco style, it would be a rarity.
Long Description: The Tivoli Theatre opened in Creston in 1945 and has managed to beat the odds by staying open to this day. Still screening first run movies, it is presently owned by Mr. G. Anderson. With a seating capacity of 340 moviegoers and a single screen, this vintage theatre is still in wonderful shape, having been restored/refurbished/repainted in the not too distant past, as in about 10 years ago.
Style: Art Deco
Structure Type: Culture/Entertainment
Date Built: 1945
Florence Hotel, Missoula, Montana
The lobby looks to have survived without a lot of undo renovations.
Background on the building here.
Florence Hotel, Missoula, Montana
Really like this one. And check out the entrance. (Interior pics coming.)
The original Florence Hotel, built on this site in 1888, offered weary railway travelers and settlers a comfortable night’s lodging. When it burned in 1913, the Florence was rebuilt as a major 106-room hostelry and was a longtime regional gathering place until it, too, was destroyed by fire in 1936.
Missoula’s lack of a major hotel had serious implications, and even though the nation was then in the midst of the Depression, Walter H. McLeod and other influential businessmen secured community support to rebuild. When the elegant new Florence Hotel opened in 1941, Missoulians were especially proud that 67 percent ownership belonged to community shareholders. Spokane architect G. A. Pehrson masterfully designed the $600,000 “jewel of a hotel” in the new Art Moderne style, characterized by its rounded corners and horizontal emphasis. Terra cotta and glass blocks accent the shiny-smooth concrete and metal surfaces. The splendid 140-room hotel boasted the Northwest’s first central air conditioning system, novel glass shower doors, and first-class interior appointments in a “harmony of color.” One of only two local examples of the style, the third generation Florence reflects the town’s steadfast regional importance into the twentieth century, the growth of tourism, and the civic pride that prompted its construction.
From the NRHP Plaque
Boundary County Courthouse, Bonners Ferry, Idaho
by BK Hunters
Deco courthouse in Idaho.
From Waymarking (which includes close-ups of the panels):
A project of the WPA, this art deco courthouse was completed in 1940. Its façade contains three bas relief panels designed by Fletcher Martin, one of only four WPA art projects known in Idaho.
Click the link for a great, great set of images available online thanks to the Library of Congress.
Sharing this not because it’s Deco architecture but because it’s images of America from the 30s and 40s in color, which for many is a real eye-opener, making those times much more real and the people more relatable. It’s also a way to be aware that while all these swanky movies theaters were up and running and great skyscrapers being built, millions of Americans were living on subsistence, as migrant workers, sharecroppers, and living in shacks with no water, electricity or heat. (Which is why the 1939/40 World’s Fair’s image of a shiny future America without want was so popular!)
Anyway, enjoy the images!
These vivid color photos from the Great Depression and World War II capture an era generally seen only in black-and-white. Photographers working for the United States Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) created the images between 1939 and 1944. We invite your tags and comments! Also, more identification information. (The current titles come from the agency’s original documentation, which was sometimes incomplete.) The FSA/OWI pictures depict life in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, with a focus on rural areas and farm labor, as well as aspects of World War II mobilization, including factories, railroads, aviation training, and women working. The original images are color transparencies ranging in size from 35 mm. to 4x5 inches. They complement the better-known black-and-white FSA/OWI photographs, made during the same period. The Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division preserves the original photographs and offers the digital copies to ensure their wide availability. For more information about the collection and to see the approximately 171,000 black-and-white photos, visit: www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsac/
This has not survived. - Wendy
Vanity Ballroom, Detroit, Michigan
Historic Photos & Modern Photos from HistoricDetroit.org
As it was then and is it is now. The building, built the year of the Stock Market Crash, has been unoccupied and deteriorating since the late 1980s. It managed to survive the crash of big bands and ballroom dancing and served as the venue of punk concerts, but now it languishes and would seem to be caving in on itself. Very sad.
From the listing on HistoricDetroit.org:
Couples used to swing to big band sounds and rockers like the MC5 and the Stooges used to rock in a Mayan temple on the city’s east side.
The Vanity Ballroom opened on the eve of the stock market crash in 1929 on Detroit’s far east side at Newport and Jefferson. It followed several other venues that opened in the 1920s, but because of the Depression, it was the last ballroom to open in the city. Despite the Depression, the Vanity was one of the most popular dance venues in town and a place generations of Detroiters went to hear live performances by Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Louis Prima, Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey and Cab Calloway.
Such spectacular venues were popular places for Detroiters to go dance the night away and socialize. In its heyday, the Vanity hosted huge crowds – up to a 1,000 couples. Five nights a week, they danced to the big bands on the 5,600-square-foot maple dance floor, where couples “floated” on springs that gave the floor bounce. Patrons - who paid 35 cents to get in - would enter from the first floor and ascend a grand main staircase before entering a ballroom that took them to a different time and place – an ancient Aztec temple.
In designing the Vanity, local architect Charles N. Agree worked an Aztec theme into the Art Deco style. The ballroom is filled with stepped archways, rich earth-toned colors and Aztec symbols, all inspired by pre-Columbian archaeological discoveries of the time. Stylized Indian heads, stepped-brick archways and green-glazed tiles hovered over the dancers’ heads. The outside of the building is faced with orange brick with stone and tile ornamentation…
…As testament to the Vanity’s architectural and cultural importance, the ballroom was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on Nov. 12, 1982. It is not considered such by the state of Michigan…
…In May 2008, the Vanity was included on a Preservation Detroit list of 10 endangered Detroit buildings. Since, however, the roof has continued to fail, and vandals and looters have hit the building hard. This temple to entertainment, meant to evoke the temples of ancient civilizations, is quickly following them into ruin.
Wills Building, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England
Photos by Simon Godley
Nice set of shot of a Newcastle landmark.
The Wills Building is a well-known landmark in Newcastle upon Tyne. It was built in the Art Deco style as a cigarette factory in the late 1940s for W. D. & H. O. Wills. It is situated on the New Coast Road from Newcastle upon Tyne to the Billy Mill roundabout in North Shields, and overlooks the Wallsend golf course. It was originally built with the office block facing onto the New Coast Road with the factory itself forming the wings and rear of the building, making the whole factory complex into a quadrangle. After the factory closed in 1986 it stood empty for a number of years. The main building was eventually converted into luxury residential apartments by George Wimpey and was officially reopened as The Wills Building in November 1998.